Monday, June 29, 2009

BET Awards 2009


A network that I normally have to look-up on the TV guide grid, because I've elected to upgrade my taste, but in honor of Michael Jackson I decided to give BET(Blacks Enjoying Tomfoolery) another shot. It's like eating food from the one aunt who doesn't wash her hands....You know you're going to get sick, but you take one for the team, so your cousins don't get upset. So here goes the BET Awards 2009...

I was overly excited before the show began, since one of the Wayans brothers slipped up and mentioned New Edition was going to make an appearance, and indeed they did. Despite their differences with the drug user in the group, New Edition remains constant professionals and perfectionist, which showed on stage.....ok, Bobby Brown looked like he'd woofed down a bucket of Popeye's right before the show, but at least he's gotten that sweat problem that he and Whitney Houston shared under control!
Other than old reruns of In Living Color, I just don't find Jamie Foxx to be funny AT ALL. However, he made me laugh hysterically in the beginning with his Beat It tribute. I actually called my mom to tell her to watch.........Unfortunately, I had to call her back to apologize this morning. It was like eating lobster as an appetizer, followed by a helping of pork n' beans.

Guy- They reminded me of the pimp from the movie I'm Gonna Git U Sucka, who gets out of prison and thinks he still has what it takes, sporting fishbowl platforms!

Ciara- You're a dancer, so give Cap' n Crunch his outfit back, and pull Chris Brown on stage to recreate the Scream video.....Oh, sorry BET isn't that creative!

Beyonce- Obviously got the awards mixed up with an audition for a part in EVITA . Now you want to be taken seriously...well stop showing up on stage in just your panties, and maybe we would actually take you seriously!

Don Cornellius - I wonder if he runs CNN, since he took as long on that stage as CNN did to confirm MJ's death!

Lil Wayne- Just Wrong! On stage performing "I wish I could f*ck every girl in the world," while little 10 yr old girls danced in tutus.....BET never short on class!

Zoe Saldana - Did you really have to tell the world that Nichelle Nichols was still dropping the kids off at the pool?....She probably let her walk on stage with tissue on her feet too!

Jamie Foxx & Neyo- Great finale, but is it really necessary to perform 10 songs each, there is other talent out there....barely, but there's some!

Although I was disappointed with most of the show, there were a few touching moments like, Beyonce's acceptance speech, Marlon Wayans, Wyclef Jean, and of course my JANET!!!! Janet I love you, but honey it's summertime. Don't start raiding MJ's wardrobe just yet!

Thanks, but no thanks BET, I would have preferred a few video tributes, and then a separate MJ tribute show in the near future. "That's What She Said"